Google Books :
Search Google Books to find old books on birds (or anything else) that are in the public domain. When you get to Google Books, choose the "full view" option.
If you have a Google account or a Gmail account (both are free) you can save the books you find to your own "bookshelf."
Massbird -- start here
for local birdsA big thank-you to them for hosting our website
Visit the properties owned by the Mattapoisett Land
Trust. Their newsletter, The Heron, is online and you can sign up
to have the newsletter sent by email.
visit the Fairhaven Acushnet Land Preservation Trust and find new places to explore
Track the Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds on their migration back to us!
Selections from the works of Arthur
Cleveland Bent -- tons of information
Fun bird and
nature stuff for kids at the Waterford Press website. Click on
games and activities.
Mass Audubon's Birding on the Internet page
Download a PDF file on Backyard Bird Feeding from Cornell. (One of my pics
is in it)
Keep tabs on bird migrations
Birdwatcher's General Store on the Cape has lots of
hilarious articles. Check their new book
Bird Atlas of Massachusetts
Virtual Owl Pellet Dissection!
for information or comments
for President Justin Barrett
Logo by Carolyn
Thanks to Massbird.org for hosting our website!
websites and bird pages
Upcoming Meeting Programs:
- January 24 , 2013
Movie Night – Bring some popcorn or your favorite treat to share as we watch ‘Epic Journeys’ tracking the migration of Piping Plovers, Red Knots, and Semi-palmated Sandpipers.
- February 28, 2013
Ellen Jedrey, Assistant Director of Mass Audubon’s Coastal Waterbird Program will be talking about Piping Plovers.
- March 28, 2013
Norm Smith, Director of Mass Audubon’s Blue Hills Trailside Museum will be talking with us about his years of studies on the Snowy Owl.
- April 25, 2013
John Kricher, Professor of Biology at Wheaton College will be speaking about bird migration.
- May 23, 2013
Joan Walsh, Director of Bird Monitoring at Mass Audubon, will be presenting the Second State of the Birds report for Massachusetts.
- June 27, 2013
We’ll be coming together for the last meeting of the year to share stories, have conversation, and have some good food.
This duck has a long tail and the male turns red in summer. Answer Here
Field Trip Results (I know, I need to update this!):
- Christmas Bird Count for 2012 -- we covered Mattapoisett, Acushnet, and Fairhaven
- January 28, 2012 - Shaw Road in Fairhaven and Eel Pond in Mattapoisett -- See the results
- Christmas Bird Count, Dec. 17, 2011. Check blog for the list.
- October 15, 2011- Little Bay - Sightings here.
- May 28- Little BaySightings here
March 20th bird count for the Bay Club records--see blog for sightings
- January 17, 2011- Bay Club census. See sightings on blog
- October 2. 2010- Cuttyhunk Trip - Results on blog
- August 7 - Shorebird Walk - results on blog
- June 2010 Maine Trip. See blog for sightings.
- May 31, 2010 - Bay Club census - check blog for results.
- April 24, 2010- Bay Club census - check blog for list
- April 18 - Nasketucket State Reservation. Results on blog.
- Saturday, December 19 -- Audubon Christmas Bird Count See
results on the blog
- Sunday, November 1, 2009 -- Fairhaven, Sconticut Neck - see
results on the blog
- Saturday, October 10, 2009 - Rochester - see
results on the blog
- Monday, July 27, 2009. See
the results on the blog
- Sunday, June 28 -- Bay Club Census See results on the blog
- May 30, 2009 - Fairhaven Hotspots -- See results
- May 9, 2009 - North American Bird Watch open at the Bay Club
- April 19, 2009 -- Gooseberry/Allen's Pond-- See the results
Results of the whole New Bedford Circle
Christmas Bird Count
December 14 - Cumberland Farms Fields - Check blog for results
December 6, 2008 - Scusset Beach --Check blog for results
Sunday, November 23, 2008--birding survey at Bay Club. Check blog for results
- October 18 -- Fall Migrants/ Early Winter Arrivals at
Gooseberry Neck and Allen's Pond--Check blog for sightings
- August 30- Bay Club -- Check blog for sightings
- Puffin trip -- June 28, 2008 trip to Maine -- Check blog for sightings
- Bay Club walk - Saturday, March 22, 2008 - Check blog for sightings
- Bay Club walk -- Saturday, February 23, 2008 - Check blog for sightings
- Scusset Beach -- Sunday, January 13, 2008 -- Check blog for sightings list
- Saturday, December 22, 2007 -- Christmas Bird Count. Download
a pdf of the final New Bedford results. Some of these birds like
the Barrow's Goldeneye, Yellow-breasted Chat and White-crowned Sparrow
were the Nasketucket teams' birds.
- Sunday, November 11, 2007 -- Little Bay conservation area walk
& West Island. Check Blog for sightings
- West Island State Reservation - September 22, 2007--Check blog for sightings
- Whip-poor-will Walk (a.k. Birds and Bees), June 17 - - Check blog for sightings
- Mount Auburn Cemetery May 6 -- Read about the species we saw on the blog and see a few pictures
- Owl Prowl (March , 20073)-Read all about it on the blog
- Scusset Beach walk on January 21, 2007 -- see our tally on the blog
- Nasketucket Bird Count on January 6, 2007 -- find the results on this blog